Thursday, October 1, 2015

My Row by Row Experience continued

Have you asked others about what to do with all the row patterns you may have collected over this past summer?  Some have not liked the look of the different rows together in one quilt if using the suggested fabrics.  As I looked thru the winning quilts turned in and shown on facebook, some had coordinated their fabrics as they added the rows.  It really made some nice looking quilts.

At bee last week, I was asked to show my "baby quilt" to a scrap class, to show the class that a row could be used in other quilts besides an official "row by row"  AND that a person did not have to use the fabrics suggested for a row pattern, just that the row is built using the pattern.  That means one did not have to purchase the kit offered by the store to complete the row.

BTW, the baby quilt was made from a supplemental pattern  offered by Quilter's Dream quilt shop in Colleyville, TX that included their row in the pattern.  My baby quilt was made with calico fabrics; their pattern sample used bright batiks.

What I did to get a coordinated look in my Row by Row quilt that I've started (still not finished yet) was to pick an overall background fabric to use in each row.  I also used some other fabrics for other parts of the rows and made sure to use those fabrics in several of the rows, like adding in the Row by Row raindrop fabric in place of sky backgrounds.

Other things to do with your Row by Row Experience patterns is to use them to make baby quilts, Table Runners,  Bed runners, and even small wall hangings from single rows that you may have thought outstanding.

Since I collected so may row patterns this summer, I've been able to sort them into categories to get future coordinated looks in some quilts.  I even have a couple planned to give to those that helped along the way.  I just have to get going on those!

On a Side note, I'm sad to say that Lone Star House of Quilts has closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment