Sunday, January 11, 2015

My Jacob's Ladder Project # 6

Update:  Mid Dec sometime:
Having set the first J.L. quilt top aside for adding borders at this time, I've turned to working on the 2 color blocks.  These blocks will form two smaller quilts with corner stones and sashing as the original old quilt was put together.  18 blocks were already put together from over a year ago but 18 is not enough to make the lights and darks look decent in a quilt so ... made more sets of blocks to put another 18 blocks together.  Got those cut out and started but realized that if I wanted a 4 block x 5 block setting for two quilts, that I'd need  more blocks.  After all, I want these to be at least usable as lap quilts.  Into my stash to find some more fabric that would work for this.  I would even need 10 more blocks to make them 5x5 blocks setting. Oh, such a thought, finding 10 more colors to add to the quilts.   arghh! will the block making ever end? Oh, not sure how quilt #4, the final scrappy quilt will be but at least there will be enough left over pieces to do it!

On second thought, decided that I will take two sides of the one color blocks off the first quilt.  They are just too light to deal with. That will be a TV time project.   Will make a small baby quilt from those  extra 11.  and maybe I'll just do  4 x 4s  for the 2 color blocks.  As you can tell, I'm tired of making more of these blocks though I did find enough in my stash to make more blocks.

Here's some of my progress photos:

This is from the first batch of colors.  I've since rearranged some of the colors and sewn the blocks.  That  is when I decided that this set of blocks would be better off being made into two quilts. btw, these were finished over a year ago.  I am taking my time on these quilts.

Update January 11,
Have made the blocks that have already been cut.  I think I will just leave these as 4x5 block quilts which means just 4 more blocks to make.  With sashing & borders that should leave me with quilts that are at least 60x72 which are a nice size for twin bed toppers or to wrap ones' self up.

Continued in Part #7

No comments:

Post a Comment